Skip to main content


Council’s customer service centres will have a planned service interruption on Tuesday, 12 December that will temporarily impact customer service hours. 

Customer Service Centres - Erina: closed all day | Wyong: closed from 12.30pm | Gosford: closed from 12pm. All Council Customer Service services will resume as normal from 8.30am Wednesday, 13 December. For urgent matters, you can still call us on 02 4306 7900. Our online Customer Service Centre is also always available. 


  • Council offices will be closed over the holiday period from Mon 25 Dec 2023 to Mon 1 Jan 2024 (re-opening Tues 2 Jan 2024).  Some of Council’s services and facilities will be closed or have changes, however essential services will continue to operate.  
  • For urgent reports or issues, call Council on 02 4306 7900 at any time.  Non-urgent reports, and enquiries can be lodged 24/7 through our online Customer Service Centre (and progressed from 2 Jan).
Water and sewer development

Water and Sewer Development Requirements

Council is a water supply authority under the Water Management Act 2000. Where any development or engineering works are to be undertaken, the owner or developer is responsible for ensuring the water supply authority’s assets are considered. The following provides general information on the Water and Sewer Section 307 requirements for development applications (DAs). 

Certification of new development by private certifiers

Where works are privately certified, it is the private certifier’s responsibility to obtain the water supply authority conditions and/or approval prior to certifying a development as being suitable for construction. The water supply authority may issue this approval in the form of a Section 307 certificate, or through certification that plans are compliant, depending on the type of development proposed.

The process

As a condition of development consent, the consent authority (Council) will require that satisfactory arrangements be made for the provision of services to the new development, which may also involve payment of water and/or sewer developer charges. To identify the appropriate arrangements, the developer must submit an Application for a Section 307 Certificate of Compliance.

Upon receiving the application, water and sewer staff will investigate the impact of the proposed development on its system. As the water supply authority, council will issue a Section 306 requirements letter outlining the charges and/or works that the developer must pay and/or construct for the development. When all contributions/fees are paid and the works are completed and passed by council, the Section 307 certificate of compliance will be issued. Typically there is a 25-30 business days turn around between receiving an application and issuing a Section 306 requirements letter.

What is a water and sewer developer charge?

A water and sewer developer charge is the fee levied upon a development by Central Coast Council under the Water Management Act 2000. These charges are a contribution that new development pays towards the capacity consumed within existing and future assets (dams, pumping stations, treatment plants etc). These charges follow an Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) methodology and allow council to recover part of the cost of providing the water and sewer infrastructure necessary to service new development.

Annual water supply and sewerage charges are separate fees (also IPART regulated) that cover the ongoing operation, maintenance and renewal of the water supply and sewerage systems.

There are different methodologies for funding water supply and sewerage infrastructure for new development across NSW. While Central Coast Council is required to implement developer charges using an IPART determined methodology, Regional NSW Council’s implement developer charges using a Department of Primary Industry methodology and Hunter Water/Sydney Water do not levy developer charges at all.

Note that water and sewerage developer charges are unrelated to Developer Contributions levied under Section 7.11/7.12 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act (1979).

Development Servicing Plans (DSPs)

From 1 November 2019 there are currently two separate DSPs that cover the Central Coast Local Government Area (LGA). The Northern Region Development Servicing Plan covers the former Wyong Local Government Area, with the Southern Region Development Servicing Plan covering the former Gosford Local Government Area.

Both DSPs have been completed in accordance with the Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) 2018 determination on developer charges for Sydney Water, Hunter Water and the Central Coast. The DSPs are required to be updated prior to 1 July 2024 or as directed by IPART.

Full details and documents relating to the DSPs including calculation parameters, the area of the plans and related planning investigations can be found below under Related Documents.

Calculation of developer charges payable

Developer Charges are levied on an Equivalent Tenement (ET) basis, where a proposed development is compared to an equivalent number of residential properties for the purpose of determining charges payable.

Developer Charges applicable to a certain development are calculated by multiplying the relevant Developer Charge for the particular DSP by the number of ETs applicable to the development. A credit is applied for residential allotments or existing development that previously contributed toward provision of water and sewer to the land. This is described further within above Development Servicing Plan links with worked examples provided in the relevant appendices.

Council will provide an official determination of developer charges payable within a Section 306 requirements letter. A Section 306 requirements letter is provided following the lodgement of a Section 307 Certificate of Compliance. Council does not provide formal quotations for water supply and sewerage developer charges prior to the lodgement of a Section 305 application. Potential applicants can self assess the requirements following review of Section 8.2 of the relevant Development Servicing Plan and the relevant appendix within those documents (includes worked examples). 

How much are the developer charges?

Council indexes and adjusts contribution rates annually, in accordance with the provisions contained within the Development Servicing Plans (set by IPART). This typically occurs on 1 July each year.

The developer charges applicable for the 2023/24 financial year, from 1 July 2023 are as follows:

Development Servicing PlanDeveloper ChargeCurrent Amount ($2023/24) / Equivalent Tenement
Northern RegionWater Supply$3,872.79
Northern RegionSewerage$2,712.00
Southern RegionWater Supply$3,003.65
Southern RegionSewerage$2,110.11

These rates will be indexed on 1 July 2024 as described above.

Council will assess and determine the fees payable upon issuing the Section 306 requirements letter. Guidance for potential applicants on estimating developer charges is discussed within the above section. Council does not provide quotations for developer charges prior to the lodgement of an application for Section 307 Certificate of Compliance.

Current (indexed) charges for Section 306 requirements issued prior to 1 July 2023 can be confirmed by contacting Council via quoting the reference numbers shown on the Section 306 certificate. 

Water and sewer works

If you are thinking of building or renovating, it's important to first be aware of regulations and recommendations about water and sewer mains in your area.

It is not permitted to build over or near asbestos cement or vitrified clay sewer mains without additional protection measures applied. Mains must be replaced or relined and new protection, such as piers and beams, provided. It is also not permitted to build over large sewer mains. Details of structural elements will be required to be submitted to Council’s Water Assessment team for review and approval prior to commencement of any construction over existing Council assets. View the Building In Proximity to Water and Sewer Pipelines Policy and Procedures on the Council Policies page for more details.

Council no longer provides site survey and peg out services of existing assets. Any existing services location is the responsibility of the developer. 

If you require an existing long section including sewer mains diagram on a property please complete the Certificate Application Form and return to council with payment.  

It is also the responsibility of the development to confirm the assigned water meter for the policy is large enough to suit the development size. For a water pressure statement, please complete a Water Pressure Statement Application.

For water and sewerage works design and construction for developments, Council has adopted a Sydney Water Edition of Water Services Association of Australia (WSAA) Codes. The Council Water and Sewer Development Supplement provides supplements to the WSAA codes addressing Council's requirements. Refer to Essential Documents for updated Council Water and Sewer Development standards, including the following:

  • Water and Sewer Development Supplement to the Sydney Water Edition of Water Services Association of Australia (WSAA) Codes - This supplement specifies mandatory requirements for planning, design and construction of sewerage assets within the Central Coast Local Government area.
  • Minor Works Sewer Guideline – Central Coast Council: Sets out technical requirements and work instructions for construction activities allowed under the Minor Works (Sewer) process.
  • Development Design Checklist – Central Coast Council: Detailed checklist providing hold points for water and sewer design. Using this checklist is highly encouraged during the design process and will likely reduce the wait time for design approval. 
  • Water and Sewer Development Construction Notes – Central Coast Council: These are to be placed on water and sewer design drawings for approval. 
  • Water and Sewer Development Construction List of Requirements – Central Coast Council: List of requirements to fulfill prior to, during and post construction of water and sewer assets. 
  • Water Main Chlorination and Commissioning Process – Central Coast Council: Provides the instruction and procedures required to ensure water main safety prior to commissioning.
  • Water Service Installation Requirements – Central Coast Council: Guideline to the installation of DN20 and DN25 water services with the Central Coast Council potable water supply network.
  • Water Meter Policy (expected to be available end of April 2023) – Central Coast Council: Ensures that appropriate water meter arrangements are provided for various development types.
  • Work as Executed Requirements Pack – Central Coast Council: Standard for delivery of water and sewerage information at the “Constructed” stage of a civil project.
Related documents
Stay up to date
Sign-up for weekly news, events and important information.