Skip to main content
Rebates and hardship assistance
Find out if you’re eligible to apply for a pensioner rebate or hardship assistance on your rates notice and water account.

Find out if you’re eligible to apply for a pensioner rebate on your rates notice and water account. We can also assist those having trouble paying rates or water accounts on time with hardship assistance.

Pensioner rebates

Central Coast Council provides eligible pensioners with rebates on their rates notice and water account. A proportionate rebate is provided where eligible pensioners are joint property owners with non-eligible people, or if your eligibility changes during the year.

Rates: a rebate off combined rates and domestic waste charges, to a maximum rebate of $250 each year.

Water: up to $43.75 per quarter on your account, to a maximum annual rebate of $175 each year.

Am I eligible for a pensioner rebate?

To be eligible for a pensioner rebate on residential rates and charges, the property must be your sole or principal residence. You’ll also need a current pensioner concession card issued by Centrelink.

A current Department of Veterans Affairs concession card can be used if issued because you:

  • are a widow or widower of a member of the Australian Defence or Peacekeeping Forces
  • are the unmarried mother of a deceased unmarried member of either of the above forces
  • are a widowed mother of a deceased unmarried member of either of the above forces
  • are a TPI (Totally and Permanently Incapacitated) under the Veterans' Entitlement Act 1986
  • general rate of pension adjusted for extreme disablement under section 22 (4) of the Commonwealth Veterans' Entitlement Act 1986 or you receive a special rate of pension under section 24 of the Act.

Visit the Centrelink and Department of Veterans Affairs websites for more information on different pensioner concession cards.

How to apply

To apply for a pensioner rebate on your rates notice and water account, please complete the Pensioner Concession Application. Each individual pensioner must complete an application form to be eligible for the concession.

What is required when making an application?

A copy of each applicant’s concession card issued by Centrelink or the Department of Veterans Affairs. Please present the card at the time of making the application or, if lodging the application electronically, provide an electronic copy. A separate signed declaration form is required for each applicant applying for a concession.

If your rebate application is approved, it will appear on your future rates and water notices as a pension rebate.

Changes to your circumstances

If your circumstances change and you start or stop receiving a pension, the guidelines below apply to your rates rebate.

  • If you start receiving a pension after a billing period begins (and you meet the above conditions), you can claim a rebate from the next billing period.
  • If you no longer meet the conditions above and are not entitled to receive a rebate, any rebate you received in advance will be charged back to your rates account
  • To receive a rebate, you must satisfy the eligibility criteria at the time the account is issued.

Please contact Council as soon as your circumstances change.

Hardship Assistance

If you are having trouble paying your rates or water account on time, we can provide hardship assistance and a personalised payment plan to help you get back on track.

Ratepayers are eligible to be considered for hardship assistance where the property you pay rates on is:

  • your principle place of residence (home); or
  • the principle place of residence of your dependent who is also suffering genuine financial hardship, or
  • owned by an aged pensioner and is vacant whilst the ratepayer is in short-term care.

Depending on your needs, we can provide you with information about:

  • payment options, including help to set up weekly, fortnightly or monthly direct debits
  • personal payment plans to help you pay off your overdue rates at the same time as addressing your future instalments in one easy plan
  • access to Centrelink’s Centrepay facilities
  • referral to financial counselling services
  • advice on how to manage your water usage to save money.

For further information on pensioner rebates or hardship assistance, contact us on 02 4306 7900.

Stay up to date
Sign-up for weekly news, events and important information.