Skip to main content
Pay rates
Pay your rates and discover the services and facilities they help deliver to ratepayers residents and visitors to the local area.

Pay your rates

Your rates help us to deliver community services and facilities such as our road network, sport and recreation facilities, environmental protection, libraries, lifeguards and much more. 

For more details on for alternative payment options, refer to your rates notice or our Payment Options page.

Rates are issued in July each year and are payable on 31 August, or by four instalments due 31 August, 30 November, 28 February and 31 May.

To find out more about the actions Council has taken, and continues to take, to ensure its financial sustainability, go to our Financial Recovery Plan page.


eNotices is our customer portal system to view your rates and water notices. This service allows you to login, view and manage your notices online. 

To register for this free service, please follow the steps below:

  1. Follow the link to
  2. Sign up using your email and reference number (located on the front of your notice)
  3. Verify through the confirmation link sent to your email
  4. Enter your mobile number and create password

Should you require a copy of your notice or assistance with registering for eNotices, please contact our Customer Service Team on 4306 7900.

See the full terms and conditions.

Frequently Asked Questions
  • Central Coast Council administers various laws and regulations to help maintain and improve services and facilities for the community. These services may include community services, sporting and recreation services, environmental planning, public health, environmental protection and waste collection, treatment and disposal. The rates you pay allow Council to fund these services.

  • Before the final rate amounts are fixed, Council prepares a draft Operational Plan. This plan is then placed on public exhibition for 28 days during which the public is able to make comment via a submission regarding the rates, charges and fees proposed by Council. The exhibition period usually commences during April or May each year. After consideration of the submissions, Council formally adopts the Operational Plan along with the rates, charges and fees applicable for the coming year.

  • Residential properties located east of the M1 (Sydney to Newcastle) Freeway receive a standard three bin (waste, recycling and vegetation) service plus six kerbside collections each year. Those west of the freeway pay a lower annual charge and receive a two-bin service (excluding the vegetation bin), plus six kerbside collections a year. Vacant residential land is charged a waste availability charge. These charges are applied on a cost recovery basis.

  • The Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) sets the amount that NSW Councils can increase rates each year, in line with inflation and other considerations.

  • Yes. Under the Local Government Act 1993 (Act), councils are able to apply for additional increases in general income beyond the annual rate peg amount. This is referred to as a ‘special rate variation’ (SV). Under the Act, councils may apply for a single year increase under section 508(2), or a multi-year increase (of between two and seven years) under section 508A. The Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) has been delegated responsibility for assessing and determining special rate variations. Councils may seek a special rate variation in order to undertake environmental works, fund town improvements, redevelop community and civic facilities, address maintenance backlogs and maintain or improve existing service provision. Local councils that are seeking special variations to general income above the rate peg amount are required to submit applications to IPART for review and assessment. If a SV application is approved, IPART determine the final percentage increase.

  • Information about the NSW Valuer General’s valuation process and how to request a review was issued with the valuation notices. It is very important to read that information as it explains what you should do if you have concerns about your valuation and how to go about requesting a review of your valuation.

    As valuations are provided by NSW Land & Property Information on behalf of the NSW Valuer General who is the statutory independent valuing authority, all enquiries should be directed to NSW Land & Property Information:

    Phone: 1800 110 038

    The NSW Land & Property Information and NSW Valuer General’s Office websites contain information on the valuation process and how to request a review/lodge an objection.

  • Yes, until any request for review is determined you are required to pay rates that have already been levied - Section 36 of the Valuation of Land Act 1916.

  • Council will adjust your rates once Land & Property Information have completed their review and provided Council with amended land values.

  • If you don’t agree with Council’s categorisation of your property, you can contact us to request a review.

    If you still don’t agree with the categorisation following the review, you can appeal to the Land and Environment Court within 30 days of receiving our decision.

  • Full details of Council’s proposed expenditure for each year is contained in the Operational Plan.

  • Each year we update our Operational Plan detailing how we plan to deliver services to the community for the next financial year and beyond and then put it out on public exhibition for comment.

  • Yes. Interest accrues on rates and annual charges that remain unpaid after the due date.

  • Yes. The Local Government Act 1993 requires councils to levy an annual charge for domestic waste management services on all parcels of rateable land for which the service is available, whether or not it is actually used. All property owners should contribute to the current and future provision of waste services.

  • Some parcels of land are exempt from rates and charges, including land within a national park or land that belongs to a school or religious group. Unless you meet the exemption criteria outlined in the Local Government Act 1993, you are not exempt from paying rates.

  • The annual rate notice is issued at the end of July each year. Rates can be paid in full by 31 August, or in quarterly instalments due 31 August, 30 November, 28 February and 31 May.

    You may choose to make regular periodic payments (weekly, fortnightly, monthly, etc.). It is important that when calculating your periodic payments you ensure that each of the four instalments will be paid by the due dates in order to avoid interest accruing against overdue amounts. Customers who pay by quarterly instalments will receive instalment reminder notices prior to the due date.

    Council offers several options for the payment of rates. Please visit our Payment Options page for further details.

Stay up to date
Sign-up for weekly news, events and important information.