Development contributions

Development contributions (also known as local infrastructure contributions) are charged by Council when new development occurs. These contributions fund local infrastructure needed to support an increased number of residents in the area.

This type of local infrastructure typically includes local roads, stormwater and drainage, shared pathways, parks, playspaces or other recreational areas, environmental land and community facilities.

Contributions may be in the form of cash payments, transfer or dedication of land (such as land for a new park), works in kind* or the provision of public amenities or services not included in a contributions plan.

The NSW Government sets the legislation and policy framework for how Council collects and administers contributions, which is governed by the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.  

Council administers the local infrastructure contributions system for the Central Coast region.

A Contributions Plan outlines Council's policy for assessing, collecting, spending and administering development contributions, and describes what infrastructure is needed and how the funding is assigned over an area.

A Development Contributions Plan (also known as a Local Infrastructure Contributions Plan) is developed under Section 7.11 or 7.12 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (EPA Act).

There are two forms of local infrastructure contributions:

  • Section 7.11 contributions (formerly s.94)
  • Sections 7.12 contributions (formerly s.94A)

Section 7.11 Contributions

Central Coast Council has a number of Section 7.11 Development Contributions Plans which apply to specific areas throughout the Local Government Area.

Contributions are charged under Section 7.11 contributions plans where additional infrastructure is required for the growing population. This may include local roads, stormwater and drainage, shared pathways, parks and community facilities.  

To charge contributions under a Section 7.11 contributions plan, the plan must identify a clear relationship between the expected development and the demonstrated need for the public infrastructure. The contribution rate varies between different contributions plans as the contribution rate is determined generally by the cost of the infrastructure to be provided and the expected incoming population within the contributions plan.

View Council's Section 7.11 contributions plans.

Section 7.12 Contributions

Council has a Regional Section 7.12 Development Contributions Plan for other works and facilities that may not be as a result of increased population.  These Plans collect contributions for regional facilities such as the Magenta Cycleway at North Entrance. 

To levy contributions under a Section 7.12 contributions plan, the plan is not required to identify this relationship, as the contributions are calculated as a flat rate percentage of the cost of development.

The contributions rate is worked out on the value of the proposed development.  If the development is between $100,001-$200,000 a 0.5% levy is charged, if the development is over $200,000 a levy of 1% is charged.

Section 7.12 contributions are not charged where Section 7.11 contributions apply.

How much are the contributions?

Council indexes and adjusts contribution rates quarterly, in accordance with publication of the Consumer Price Index (CPI) published by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) to account for inflation. This occurs on 1 February, 1 May, 1 August, and 1 November each year.

Council will confirm the fees payable upon determination of an application. 

For specific contribution quotes, or indexation of contribution amounts levied on a consent, please contact Council’s Customer Service Section on 1300 463 954 or

When are contributions payable?

Payment of contributions is required at specific points of the development process (unless other agreements have been made with Council, e.g. works in kind, bank guarantees, or a Voluntary Planning Agreement).

The contributions plans specify when contributions are payable. Generally for development consents the following applies:

  • Involving subdivision - payment is required prior to the release of the Subdivision Certificate
  • Involving building work - payment is required prior to the release of the first Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate
  • Involving both subdivision and building work - payment is required prior to the release of the Subdivision Certificate or the first Construction Certificate, whichever occurs first
  • Where no Construction Certificate, Complying Development Certificate or Subdivision Certificate is required - payment is required prior to issue of the first Certificate of Occupancy

If a contribution is required, the consent authority or certifying authority will include a condition on the consent or complying development certificate requiring the contribution. This condition will advise when the contribution needs to be paid.

How can contributions payments be made?

Prior to making payment, please contact Council’s Customer Contact Section on 1300 463 954 or for indexation of contributions already levied in a development consent.

Payments can be made via the following options:

1. Cheque

Contributions can be paid by cheque/s presented for the amount payable and made out to 'Central Coast Council'. Please ensure that the application number and description of payment are clearly described on any documentation attached to the cheque/s, e.g. “DA/100/2018 – Contributions payment”. Cheques can be sent by post, by person Council’s administration offices located at 2 Hely Street, Wyong or 91-99 Mann Street, Gosford.

Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)

For all enquiries regarding payment by Electronic Funds Transfer contact Council on 1300 463 954 or

Credit Card (Mastercard/Visa)

Payments can be paid online by credit card.  You will need the Application Key number (located on the Development Consent or quote), and the total amount payable (including any relevant indexation) to complete an online payment. When paying online, select ‘Application’ as the payment type option.

Are there other contributions that apply?

Water and sewer contributions may apply towards the provision of water supply and sewerage infrastructure. These contributions are levied under the Water Management Act, 2000.

Voluntary Planning Agreements

Section 7.4 of the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act, 1979, refers to Voluntary Planning Agreements (VPAs).

A VPA is a voluntary arrangement between a developer and one or more Council’s and/or other planning authorities, where the developer agrees to dedicate land free of cost, pay a monetary contribution, provide a material public benefit, or any combination of the above, for public infrastructure or another public purpose.

View Council’s Planning Agreements Policy.

Council’s VPA Register is available to view upon request.

Works In Kind Agreements

Council has established a framework for Works In Kind Agreements in satisfaction of requirements to pay local infrastructure contributions in accordance with the provisions of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and the Water Management Act 2000. The Works-In-Kind (WIK) policies and supporting guidelines provide greater transparency and identify clear assessment protocols for the lodgement and consideration of requests to undertake infrastructure works.

View Council's Work in Kind Policies and Guidelines.

Contributions Plans

Northern Contribution Plans (former Wyong Local Government Area)

Repealed Plans

Southern Contribution Plans (former Gosford Local Government Area)

Average: 2.1 (38 votes)


Add new comment

Last updated : Mon 17 Jan 2022