Road Occupancy

A road occupancy consists of any activity likely to impact on the operational efficiency of the Central Coast road network. Specifically, it is when an activity requires the Council owned road reserve to be used in such a way as to affect vehicle and/or pedestrian traffic flow or an off road activity that affects vehicle and/or pedestrian traffic flow. Additionally, a road occupancy may involve the closure of traffic lane(s).

Examples of road occupancies are:

  • Road maintenance such as re-surfacing or line marking
  • Lane closures around a building site (as a hazard reduction) or to get cranes or other equipment in and out of the building site
  • Grass cutting along a median strip requiring a road shoulder or a lane to be closed
  • Placement of a skip bin/container on a driveway or within the road reserve
  • Any other works undertaken within Council’s road reserve that affects vehicle and/or pedestrian traffic flow.

Road Occupancy Licence

A road occupancy licence (ROL) allows for the use of a specified road reserve space at approved times and subject to certain conditions of approval. The licence applies to the occupation of the “road reserve space” only and does not imply permission or approval for the actual (physical) works being undertaken.

Why do you need to obtain a ROL from Council?

A ROL is required for any works undertaken within Council’s road reserve that affects vehicle and/or pedestrian traffic flow. Council is responsible for the operational efficiency of the local road network. Therefore it is important that Council is made aware of and approves any impacts on vehicle and/or pedestrian traffic flow within the local road network.

How do you obtain a ROL?

A formal application must be made to Council via eservices that includes a completed copy of the Road Occupancy Licence Application Form, traffic control plans (TCPs) and any other accompanying plans and documents as well as appropriate fees paid as outlined in Council’s fees and charges.

Applications must be submitted online via Council’s Online Services and a How to Guide has been provided for guidance during the online lodgement process. 

How long does it take to obtain a ROL?

A straightforward application will usually be processed within ten-fifteen working days. The assessment of an application may take longer if the application is more complex and/or requires modification to the proposed traffic control plan. Please note: these processing times are an indication of average processing times only and the actual processing time for your application may vary.

What is involved in the ROL process?

The Road Occupancy Licence Process Map shows the process undertaken by Council to issue a ROL.

What if the road occupancy activity is to be undertaken on a road not owned by Council?

Council will not issue a ROL for a Crown Road or State Road. Instead, an application should be submitted to the appropriate State Government authority for a ROL to be issued, such as NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment (Crown Road) or Transport for NSW (State Road).

Average: 3.4 (7 votes)


Add new comment

Last updated : Wed 16 Feb 2022