Business use of open space

Central Coast Council recognises the importance of a healthy and active community. While Council has an obligation to preserve open space areas for general community use, it recognises that in some circumstances, the undertaking of trade or business activities on open space reserves can enhance the use of these areas and provide a benefit to the community.

The control of activities in particular locations ensures the impact on the community and environment is minimised, yet provides support to local businesses and ensures the provision of recreational activities are in place.

Trade or business activities that will be considered by Council must be ancillary to the purpose of the reserve and be of an educational nature and/or encourage active participation in a healthy lifestyle. Activities deemed appropriate include:

  • Canoe, Kayak and Paddleboats
  • Coaching and Clinics
  • Corporate Group Training
  • Dog Obedience Classes
  • Personal Training, Fitness Groups and Bootcamp Operators
  • Stand Up Paddle Board School
  • Surf Schools (including elite level)

Approved operators

Approved operators are required to provide substantial information to council to obtain authorisation to operate on council managed reserves. Council requires operators to provide documentation, including accreditation, public liability insurance, risk management plans and environmental hazard assessments.

We require this information to ensure that the operators that are approved are undertaking safe, environmentally responsible operations on open space reserves.

See our list of approved operators for the 2020/21 financial year.

Temporary licensing

Any trade or business wishing to conduct activities on council managed open space areas must apply for an annual temporary licence.

Temporary licensing enables council to regulate and monitor trade or business activities being conducted on open space reserves to ensure ecologically sustainable use and protection of these areas, and the safety and well-being of the community.

Applying for licensing of a trade or business on open space

Each year, we seek applications for temporary licences through an Expression of Interest submission process.  The EOI submission period for the 2020-2021 financial year period closed 24 April 2020, however applicants may still apply after this period.

Location Fees

Location Fees - FY 2020-21

Guidelines and Application Forms

Personal trainers, fitness groups and bootcamp operators


Application form

Surf schools


Application form

Stand up paddleboard (SUP) schools


Application form

Canoe, kayak, SUP and paddle boat operators


Application form

Corporate group training, clinics and coaching


Application form

For further enquiries relating to temporary licences, please contact us on 1300 463 954 or email


The information on this page may not be correct during this unprecedented health event. Essential services are still being provided to the community, however many Council services and programs have been placed on hold while facilities and some open spaces are closed.
Our COVID-19 information area details all impacts to Council services, facilities and programs as well as the local response to coronavirus.

Average: 2 (1 vote)


Add new comment

Last updated : Tue 1 Dec 2020