Skip to main content
Business Use of Open Space

Central Coast Council recognises the importance of a healthy and active community. While Council has an obligation to preserve open space areas for general community use, it recognises that in some circumstances, the undertaking of trade or business activities on open space reserves can enhance the use of these areas and provide a benefit to the community.

The control of activities in particular locations ensures the impact on the community and environment is minimised, yet provides support to local businesses and ensures the provision of recreational activities are in place.

Trade or business activities that will be considered by Council must be ancillary to the purpose of the reserve and be of an educational nature and/or encourage active participation in a healthy lifestyle. Activities deemed appropriate include:

  • Canoe, Kayak and Paddleboats
  • Coaching and Clinics
  • Corporate Group Training
  • Dog Obedience Classes
  • Personal Training, Fitness Groups and Bootcamp Operators
  • Stand Up Paddle Board School
  • Surf Schools (including elite level)

Approved operators

Approved operators are required to provide substantial information to council to obtain authorisation to operate on council managed reserves. Council requires operators to provide documentation, including accreditation, public liability insurance, risk management plans and environmental hazard assessments.

We require this information to ensure that the operators that are approved are undertaking safe, environmentally responsible operations on open space reserves.

Temporary licensing

Any trade or business wishing to conduct activities on council managed open space areas must apply for an annual temporary licence.

Temporary licensing enables council to regulate and monitor trade or business activities being conducted on open space reserves to ensure ecologically sustainable use and protection of these areas, and the safety and well-being of the community.

Applying for licensing of a trade or business on open space

Council seeks applications for temporary licences through an annual Expression of Interest process. Expressions of Interest for temporary licences to undertake business or trade activities on open space areas for the financial year 2024/25. Open on the 25th March 2024. 

Applications lodged before 25th March 2024 will not be accepted.

Separate application forms and guidelines are available for each activity. Expressions of Interest must be submitted online by 5pm, 26th April 2024 for consideration for the 2024/25 financial year.

Once an expression of interest period closes, applicants may still apply, however there is no guarantee that an assessment will be made until the next expression of Interest period.

Location Fees

Location Fees - 2024-25

Guidelines and Application Forms

Personal trainers, fitness groups and bootcamp operators

Surf schools

Stand up paddleboard (SUP) schools

Canoe, kayak, SUP and paddle boat operators

Corporate group training, clinics and coaching

All applicants must ensure they have read Councils Licensing of a Trade of Business on Open Space Areas Policy prior to submitting their Expression of Interest.

For further enquiries relating to temporary licences, please contact us on 02 4306 7900 or email

Stay up to date
Sign-up for weekly news, events and important information.