Pet Identification and Registration

Owners of puppies and kittens must microchip their pet by 12 weeks of age or when they are first sold (whatever comes first), and register and pay the registration fee by the time their pet reaches six months of age. This is to ensure pets can be reunited with owners should they become lost.

The registration fee is a once only payment which covers the cat or dog for its lifetime in NSW. Pet owners are encouraged to have their cat or dog desexed before registration. You can process your application in person at our Customer Service Centres or any other NSW Local Council. You will need to present:

  • a signed Lifetime Registration (R2) Form
  • proof of desexing, if applicable
  • a certificate of microchipping/identification or a letter from a vet
  • any other document entitling you to a discount, for example, a pensioner concession card or recognised breeder identification.

Proof of desexing may take the form of a Certificate of Sterilisation, a receipt containing a microchip number from a vet or a statutory declaration from a previous owner stating that the cat or dog has been desexed and is permanently incapable of reproduction.


A microchip is a small 2mm implant placed under the skin between the shoulder blades. It contains a unique fifteen digit number which is assigned to your pet. Vets, animal welfare organisations, council pounds and other authorised people can microchip a cat or dog. This service is available at our Animal Care Facilities at Charmhaven and Erina.

See our What's on calendar for upcoming free microchipping days at our Animal Care Facilities.

Further microchipping & registration information.

Pensioner concession

Pensioner concession is available on registration of an animal only if it is desexed and a valid and pension concession card can be produced.

Recognised breeder

In accordance with the Companion Animals Act, a recognised breeder is a person who is a member of one of the three following organisations:

  • Dogs NSW (formerly Royal NSW Canine Council)
  • NSW Cat Fanciers Association
  • Waratah State Cat Alliance

To obtain a discount as a recognised breeder, at time of registration you must show all of the following:

  • a current membership card from one of the listed recognised organisations
  • evidence that the animal is a purebred
  • a signed statement (from the owner) that the animal is kept for breeding purposes.

Fee exemption

Owners claiming a lifetime registration fee exemption for an assistance animal must provide proof that the animal is a genuine assistance animal. This includes a signed statement or documentation from a recognised training body that the animal is (or is being) trained as an assistance animal, and a signed statement from the training body or the owner that the animal is being used for that purpose.

Other animals exempt from microchipping and lifetime registration requirements:

  • cats born before 1 July 1999 that remain with their original owner
  • working dogs used for tending stock on rural properties
  • greyhounds registered under the Greyhound Racing Act.

Change of Owner/Details

It is the responsibility of the old owner (the person selling or giving away the animal) to notify the Council of the change. Failure to do so may result in a fine of up to $880 or up to $5,500 for a dangerous or restricted dog.

If your contact details change, you must notify authorities within 14 days of the change, otherwise penalties may apply. Keeping your contact details up to date will assist in the return of your cat or dog should it become lost or stray.

Download a Change of Owner/Details Form

Pet owners and breeders can access the NSW Pet Registry to create an online profile. You can update your details, notify if your dog or cat is missing, register ownership changes and pay registration fees online.

Subsidised Desexing Program

Desexing your pet not only reduces your registration costs, but also limits the number of abandoned and unwanted litters of puppies and kittens. Desexing can improve behaviour making your pet less likely to develop aggressive tendencies toward people and other animals, mark their territory, stray and develop certain types of cancers. Central Coast Council provides eligible residents with a voucher for a set amount to assist with the cost of the desexing procedure through an approved vet. The owner must pay the remaining fee directly to the veterinary surgeon.

To be eligible for a voucher:

• your animal must be identified (by way of a microchip) in accordance with the Companion Animals Act 1998.
• you must be the owner of the animal
• you must be a resident of the Central Coast local government area
• you must be in receipt of a pension or other entitlements from Centrelink and/ or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs. Concession cards are required to be sighted on receipt of application.

To apply for a voucher, download and complete a  Desexing Voucher Application Form or visit one of our Customer Service Centres.

Average: 3.2 (69 votes)


Add new comment

Last updated : Thu 18 Jul 2019