The Central Coast has 16 coastal beaches and an ocean pool complex at The Entrance. To increase patron safety, lifeguards and volunteers patrol the beaches during the warmer months.
Beach safety lifeguard services
Central Coast Council lifeguards and Surf Life Saving volunteers provide search and rescue services for our coastal beaches as well as emergency medical care when required. They also play an important role in educating swimmers and visitors on beach and water safety.
Beach patrol services begin on 29 September 2018 and finish on 29 April 2019.
Lifeguards also supervise the Grant McBride Baths at The Entrance seven days a week for the duration of the patrol season.
Central Coast patrolled beaches are:
- Budgewoi (Christmas school holiday period only)
- Lakes Beach
- Soldiers Beach
- The Entrance North
- The Entrance
- Toowoon Bay
- Shelly Beach
- Wamberal Beach
- Terrigal Beach
- North Avoca Beach
- Avoca Beach
- Copacabana Beach
- Macmasters Beach
- Killcare Beach
- Ocean Beach
- Umina Beach
Hours of patrol
Non-peak holiday times - 29 September 2018 - 16 December 2018 and 30 January 2019 - 30 April 2019, 9am to 5pm across all 16 beach locations and the Grant McBride Baths.
Peak holiday period - 17 December 2018 - 1 February 2019 at all locations (including Budgewoi) will operate from 9am to 6pm. Terrigal, Avoca and Umina beaches operate an hour earlier - from 8am until 6pm.
Conditions on coastal beaches can change suddenly. When swimming at one of the Central Coast’s beautiful beaches, please follow the lifeguards’ directions and obey the signs while at the beach.
- No flags means no swimming
- Always swim or surf at patrolled beaches
- Swim between the red and yellow flags
- If we can’t see you, we can’t save you
- If you get into difficulty, raise your arm, stay calm, and yell for assistance
- If you are unsure of conditions, ask the lifeguard or lifesaver in attendance
- Read and obey the signs and directions from the lifeguard or lifesaver
- Never run and dive into water, as the depth can change regularly
- Children should be supervised by an adult at all times
- Always ‘Slip, Slop, Slap, Seek and Slide’
The Grant McBride Baths
The only ocean pool on the Central Coast, the Grant McBride Baths at The Entrance is a popular swimming spot for families and lap swimmers. The Baths have a 50 metre outdoor pool, 22 metre lap pool, a children’s wading pool and amenities.
The baths are open all year round (free entry), from 6am to 6pm during summer and 7am to 3pm during winter.
Between 29 September 2018 and 30 April 2019, the baths are supervised from 9am to 5pm and from 9am to 6pm during the Christmas school holiday period.
People with a disability will find it easier to access Central Coast Council beaches using beach wheelchairs available at selected surf clubs.
The surf clubs where beach wheelchairs are available are:
- Lakes - Sand Cruiser
- Soldiers Beach - Sand Cruiser
- Toowoon Bay - Sand Cruiser
- Shelley Beach - Sand Cruiser
- Wamberal - Sand Cruiser
- Terrigal – Sand Cruiser and Hippocampe (adult size).
- North Avoca - Sand Cruiser
- Avoca Beach - Sand Cruiser and Hippocampe (adult size)
- Copacabana - Sand Cruiser
- Killcare - Sand Cruiser
- Ocean Beach - Sand Cruiser
- Umina – Sand Cruiser and Hippocampe (suitable for young people)
To book a beach wheelchair, call Surf Life Saving Central Coast on 4353 0299 for the contact details of each individual surf club or Central Coast Council on 4325 8222 or 4350 5555.
Each year, from October to April, Central Coast Council monitors and reports on the water quality of 21 local swimming areas. This includes ten ocean beaches, six lagoon sites and five tidal baths and rock pools.
Dog friendly beaches
For information on dog friendly beaches, visit our Dog parks and beaches web page.
To book a Surf Club or to book an event on a beach, contact Surf Life Saving Central Coast on 4353 0299 for the contact details of each individual surf club or Central Coast Council on 4325 8222 or 4350 5555.
For information on boat ramps (both closed and open water) visit our Boating web page.