Outdoor permits

Central Coast Council recognises that many business activities may require the partial use of public areas such as reserves, sportsfields, beaches and footpaths.

Use of these areas by local businesses is regulated differently depending on the activity type and the public area on which the activity is to be undertaken.


    The information on this page may not be correct during this unprecedented health event. Essential services are still being provided to the community, however many Council services and programs have been placed on hold while facilities and some open spaces are closed.
    Our COVID-19 information area details all impacts to Council services, facilities and programs as well as the local response to coronavirus.

    Outdoor dining

    Businesses seeking to use sections of public footpath areas for food and beverage service must first seek council approval by submitting an outdoor dining application.

    Outdoor dining approval allows a business to occupy a designated footpath area, directly bordering their main place of business for the purpose of serving food and beverages to customers. Food must not be stored or displayed in the outdoor area and must be kept clean and tidy at all times. 

    Serving alcohol

    Businesses with a current Liquor Licence (Liquor Act 2007) must include the following details with their outdoor dining application:

    • registered business name
    • liquor licence number
    • licensee name
    • proposed hours of service

    Street Vending

    Businesses are also able to apply for use of footpath areas directly outside their place of business to display merchandise and other items for sale. Examples of street vending include portable fruit stands, clothing racks or florist displays. Bulky products such as whitegoods, crates, boxes or electrical appliances are unsuitable for street vending. Fill out and submit a street vending application to apply. 

    Street stalls and raffles

    Accredited organisations seeking to conduct street stalls and raffles on public property are able to conduct up to five stalls per year without approval. All other regulations still apply.  If you are unsure whether your organisation qualifies, please get in touch.

    Fixed Structures

    Items such as awnings, umbrellas, planter boxes and additional landscaping are deemed fixed structures and require an additional application in conjunction with an outdoor dining/street vending application or existing approval for those activities.

    Temporary flooring or mats are prohibited as they form a pedestrian trip hazard.

    Business use of open space

    Central Coast Council recognises the importance of a healthy and active community. While Council has an obligation to preserve open space areas for general community use, it recognises that in some circumstances, the undertaking of trade or business activities on open space reserves can enhance the use of these areas and provide a benefit to the community.

    The control of activities in particular locations ensures the impact on the community and environment is minimised, yet provides support to local businesses and ensures the provision of recreational activities are in place.

    Trade or business activities that will be considered by Council must be ancillary to the purpose of the reserve and be of an educational nature and/or encourage active participation in a healthy lifestyle. Activities deemed appropriate include:

    • Canoe, Kayak and Paddleboats
    • Coaching and Clinics
    • Corporate Group Training
    • Dog Obedience Classes
    • Personal Training, Fitness Groups and Bootcamp Operators
    • Stand Up Paddle Board School
    • Surf Schools (including elite level)

    Approved operators

    Approved operators are required to provide substantial information to council to obtain authorisation to operate on council managed reserves. Council requires operators to provide documentation, including accreditation, public liability insurance, risk management plans and environmental hazard assessments.

    We require this information to ensure that the operators that are approved are undertaking safe, environmentally responsible operations on open space reserves.

    Temporary licensing

    Any trade or business wishing to conduct activities on council managed open space areas must apply for an annual temporary licence.

    Temporary licensing enables council to regulate and monitor trade or business activities being conducted on open space reserves to ensure ecologically sustainable use and protection of these areas, and the safety and well-being of the community.

    Expressions of interest (EOI)

    Each year, we seek applications for temporary licences. Once an Expression of Interest period closes, applicants may still apply, however there is no guarantee that an assessment will be made until the next Expression of Interest period.

    2020/2021 Expressions of Interest are now open

    Average: 2 (7 votes)


    Add new comment

    Last updated : Tue 31 Mar 2020