Skip to main content
Outdoor permits
The control of activities in particular locations ensures the impact on the community and environment is minimised yet provides support to businesses and ensures the provision of recreational activities are in place.
Outdoor Dining

Outdoor living is part of our culture on the Central Coast.  Several local businesses are already taking advantage of the opportunity to undertake business activity on Council managed open space areas - such as footpaths, beaches, parks and sports fields.

Council recognises that commercial use of outdoor spaces not only supports local businesses but also benefits the wider community with increased social, cultural and fitness opportunities, enhanced town vibrancy and safety, and provides a boost to our region’s economy and local jobs.

Council will always preserve open space areas for general community use, whilst supporting Central Coast businesses to safely use suitable spaces. 

Use of Council managed land and open spaces for business usage does require permits. Activities are controlled to ensure suitability, community safety, equitable and fair allocation and that the impact on the community and environment is minimised. 

Use of these areas by local businesses is regulated differently depending on the activity type and the public area on which the activity is to be undertaken.

Fixed structures

Items such as awnings, umbrellas, planter boxes and additional landscaping are deemed fixed structures and require an additional application in conjunction with an outdoor dining/street vending application or existing approval for those activities.

Temporary flooring or mats are prohibited as they form a pedestrian trip hazard. Fill out and submit a Business use of a public footpath application to apply. 

Fundraising Activities

To apply for a fundraising activity fill out and submit a Fundraising Activity Permit Application Form.

Accredited organisations seeking to conduct street stalls and raffles on public property are able to conduct up to five stalls per year with approval. All other regulations still apply. If you are unsure whether your organisation qualifies, please get in touch.

Read our Fundraising Activity Guidelines for more information. 

Street vending

Businesses are also able to apply for use of footpath areas directly outside their place of business to display merchandise and other items for sale. Examples of street vending include portable fruit stands, clothing racks or florist displays. Bulky products such as whitegoods, crates, boxes or electrical appliances are unsuitable for street vending. Fill out and submit a Business use of a public footpath application to apply. 

Outdoor dining

Council encourages existing local hospitality businesses to expand their dining and table services and apply for an outdoor dining approval to use adjoining public footpaths and outdoor spaces to serve food and beverages.

Read our Outdoor dining page for steps on how to apply.

Stay up to date
Sign-up for weekly news, events and important information.