Skip to main content


Council’s customer service centres will have a planned service interruption on Tuesday, 12 December that will temporarily impact customer service hours. 

Customer Service Centres - Erina: closed all day | Wyong: closed from 12.30pm | Gosford: closed from 12pm. All Council Customer Service services will resume as normal from 8.30am Wednesday, 13 December. For urgent matters, you can still call us on 02 4306 7900. Our online Customer Service Centre is also always available. 


  • Council offices will be closed over the holiday period from Mon 25 Dec 2023 to Mon 1 Jan 2024 (re-opening Tues 2 Jan 2024).  Some of Council’s services and facilities will be closed or have changes, however essential services will continue to operate.  
  • For urgent reports or issues, call Council on 02 4306 7900 at any time.  Non-urgent reports, and enquiries can be lodged 24/7 through our online Customer Service Centre (and progressed from 2 Jan).
Plumbing and drainage

Learn more about the process for undertaking plumbing and drainage works.

Plumbing and Drainage Requirements

On-site plumbing works within the Central Coast region require an inspection by Central Coast Council.

The Plumbing and Drainage Act 2011 established a single scheme regulation for on-site plumbing and drainage work in NSW, and designated NSW Fair Trading as the NSW plumbing regulator from 1 January 2013.

Process for undertaking plumbing and drainage works

1. Submit plumbing and drainage inspection application

An Application for plumbing and drainage inspection form should be completed and emailed to Within 48 hrs, our team will assess your application and issue an invoice for payment. The form can be submitted by an owner, builder, plumber or other relevant person. Payment must be received before Plumbing and Drainage Inspections can be booked.

Application for Plumbing and Drainage Inspections

2. Submit notice of work

At least two days before a plumber starts work on a property, the plumber must provide council with a notice of work.

The notice of work must be signed by a licensed plumber. If fees have not been paid, they must be paid upon submission of the notice of work. If fees have been paid, the receipt number should be written on the completed notice of work.

Plumbing and Drainage Notice of Work

3. Book inspections

Contact plumbing and drainage on 4304 7689, at least 24 hours prior to the proposed time, to arrange an inspection. The team will endeavour to arrange an inspection time and date that is suitable to your job requirements.

Next day bookings are subject to availability. Same day inspections are not available.

Please have the following information ready when you book an inspection:

  • proof of payment of the inspection fees
  • confirmation the application for plumbing and drainage inspection and notice of work have been submitted to council.
  • plumber’s contact details
  • address of the job site
  • type of inspection being requested

A certificate of compliance and a sewer service diagram (drainage diagram) are to be provided at the final inspection.

Request a Plumbing and Drainage inspection.

4. Submit certificate of compliance

Within two days of completing plumbing works, the plumber must submit a certificate of compliance. A copy of the certificate of compliance must be provided to council and the owner (and a copy retained by the plumber).

Plumbing and Drainage Certificate of Compliance

The file below combines both the notice of work and the certificate of compliance templates. It can be filled out electronically, but still needs to be printed.

Combined Notice of Work and Certificate of Compliance

5. Submit drainage diagram

Within two days of completing the plumbing works, the plumber must also provide council and the customer with a drainage diagram, using the template below, of any sanitary drainage work they have completed.

Plumbing and Drainage Sewer Service Diagram Template

Please note, all forms may be printed from this site. Additionally, hard copy booklets are available for purchase from council.

Requirements for building over sewer and stormwater drainage, and adjacent to water mains

Where a developer proposes to construct works in the vicinity of water or sewer mains, they must comply with requirements outlined in the Building In Proximity to Water and Sewer Pipelines Policy. A fee applies where engineering plans are required to be assessed by the Water Authority.

Backflow devices

An important way town water can be protected is to prevent the backflow of water from premises considered to be a potential risk of cross contaminating town water with polluted water. Town water in these circumstances can be protected by installing a backflow prevention device. Council requires a backflow prevention device to be installed by an accredited licensed plumber at the property boundary and registered with Council. Lodgement of a water supply backflow prevention form and payable fee are required.

It’s a requirement that testing of the device is conducted on an annual basis and results submitted to Council each year.

Annual test certificate for backflow device

It’s a requirement that testing of the device is conducted on an annual basis and results submitted to Council each year.

Submit your Backflow Prevention Device Annual Inspection online inspection.

Stay up to date
Sign-up for weekly news, events and important information.