This page contains the legislative framework under which funeral homes are able to operate in New South Wales.
Mortuaries (Funeral homes)
Mortuaries are establishments that handle the deceased. Activities commonly include:
- preparation of bodies for burial or cremation
- conducting embalming, viewing and storage of bodies
- conducting burials, exhumations or cremations.
The Public Health Act 2010 and Public Health Regulation 2012 provide regulatory framework for mortuary activities.
Generally the Act and Regulation aim to control the risk of infections. They provide controls for:
- premises and facilities for handling bodies
- waste disposal
- restriction of burials, exhumations and cremations
- maintenance of registers.
The New South Wales Health web site below provides additional information.