Helpful information following severe weather


  • Terrigal beach
Saturday, 22 February 2020


Add new comment

NSW State Emergency Service

The Central Coast is cleaning up from severe weather that has seen our region impacted with significant rain and king tides.

The NSW SES is the emergency agency for help during storm or flash flooding. If you are impacted by flood waters and need assistance please call the SES immediately on 132 500. The SES has teams on standby to help you.

If you require further support contact Disaster Welfare on 1800 018 444 for assistance.


Recovery Information Centres

The Office of Emergency Management, Disaster Welfare has opened a Recovery Information Centre and a recovery information point on the Central Coast. Council staff and other agencies are on hand to assist affected residents and can provide support for residents who are experiencing difficulties as direct result of the flood and storm event. Residents can ask questions around recovery and clean up, including direct assistance for their property. This could include insurance, what individuals are entitled to under funding programs and other individual needs.

Current recovery information points open:

The Entrance Community Centre (Building E), Battley Avenue:

  • Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
  • Saturday 10am–4pm

Blue Haven Community Centre, 1 Aspley Court Blue Haven:

  • Thursday 20 February 10am–4pm
  • Friday 21 February 10am-4pm
  • Saturday 22 February 10am-2pm
  • Tuesday 25 February 10am-4pm
  • Tuesday 3 March 10am–4pm

Mangrove Mountain Community Hall - Corner of Wisemans Ferry Road and Waratah Road, Mangrove Mountain

  • Wednesday 26 February 5–8pm (information briefing at 5.30pm)

More recovery information points will soon be opening across the coast and this page will be updated with information on where they are located and their opening times, once they do.

Community Bulletins

To stay updated on our recovery efforts across the Coast, view our latest community bulletin.

Information about wet weather clean-up

Residential waste services

We will pick up storm/flood damaged waste over the coming weeks. This will not impact residents’ annual allocation of kerbside pickups. Please put this waste on your kerbside and call Cleanaway on 1300 126 278 to let us know it is ready to pick up.

We are monitoring areas daily where normal bin collection services have been impacted by recent storms and will reservice areas impacted by flood waters that have had waste collection services missed – residents should keep bins on the kerbside until collected.

Residents can book a kerbside collection for storm damaged bulky household waste (such as damaged carpet or furniture) and excess trees and organic garden waste that is too large for their green waste bin.

Please put this waste on your kerbside and call Cleanaway on 1300 126 278 to let us know it is ready to pick up. We will pick up storm/flood damaged waste over the coming weeks. This will not impact residents’ annual allocation of kerbside pickups. Alternatively, you can organise a private skip.

If you are unable to clean up waste caused by the recent severe weather, please call Council on 1300 463 954 and we will organise assistance for you. If you are collecting debris from your property for collection, please ensure it is left on the nature strip only and doesn't hang over into the gutters or on roads.

Spoiled food

If you have fridges and freezers with spoiled food due to power outages and this will not fit in your red-lidded bin, spoiled food waste can be disposed for free at all our waste management facilities. This material should be bagged and placed in the designated receptacles as directed at the facility. Alternatively, if you require an additional redlidded bin pick up, please call Cleanaway on 1300 126 278. This service will be offered for the next few weeks while we clean up. Whitegoods which contain no spoiled food can also be accepted free of charge. Food must be removed from whitegoods (so they can be recycled) otherwise they must be disposed of to landfill and gate fees will apply.

Can I take storm damaged bulky household and organic garden waste to the tip?
You can dispose of tree or garden waste at one of Council’s waste management facilities for free. This will be available for a period of time to allow residents time to clean up and we will advise when this additional service will finish. Residents simply need to supply proof of residency and residents’ contractors need to supply copy/photo of the resident’s rates notice. You can dispose of storm damaged bulky waste at Council waste management facilities at the reduced price of $197 tonne (normally $355). Council’s Waste Management Facilities are located at:

  • Buttonderry Waste Management Facility – 850 Hue Hue Road, Jilliby
  • Kincumber Waste Management Facility – Cullens Road, Kincumber (not accepting large tree stumps or fridges containing spoilt food)
  • Woy Woy Waste Management Facility – Nagari Road, Woy Woy

I have used my 6 bulk kerbside collections, can I receive some extra?
Kerbside collections booked for the removal of flood/storm damaged bulky domestic waste will not impact your annual allocation of kerbside pickups. Please put this waste on your kerbside and call Cleanaway on 1300 126 278 to let us know it is ready to pick up. Council will pick up storm/flood damaged waste over the coming weeks.

What do I do with used sandbags?
Split the bags to remove sand and place in your garden where it won’t wash away. Place bags in the red lid garbage bin.

Public property and commercial company waste
Council will remove fallen trees and debris from the road and public reserves over the coming weeks. Businesses should use their private contract waste services or can deliver to one of Council’s waste management facilities - normal fees apply.

Removal of seagrass
What you do could impact the environment therefore residents should only remove seagrass wrack from private property. Various options are available for residents to remove seagrass from private property including:

  • Stockpiling and placing this debris in a safe location next to roads but clear of paths. Council will undertake two clean ups, when the road is open after water has subsided and then approximately 1 week after.
  • Placing it in your green waste bins debris.
  • Delivering it to any of Councils waste management facilities for free.
  • Booking a standard kerbside collection service through (for organics) or 1300 126 278.

If seagrass is on foreshores and roads, allow it to dry out naturally. For those areas which are regularly mown, staff will mow the dried seagrass and debris. Council staff will undertake removal of seagrass from roads and footpaths.

Evacuation Centres Closed

Our two evacuation centres on the Central Coast have now closed. If you require further support contact Disaster Welfare on 1800 018 444 for assistance.


NSW Health provides basic hygiene advice during the flood and clean-up period. Some helpful tips include:

  • Wash hands thoroughly with soap and clean water after handling flood-affected items or participating in any flood clean-up activities, after going to the toilet and always before handling or eating food.
  • Avoid coughing or sneezing on others and avoid the use of common or unclean eating utensils, toothbrushes, towels or handkerchiefs.
  • Avoid all unnecessary contact with mud and floodwaters. If you must walk through mud or enter floodwaters, always wear solid shoes, not thongs or sandals. Always wear gloves when handling flood-affected items or mud. Keep children out of flood-affected areas.
  • All cuts and abrasions should be cleaned, treated with antiseptic and covered immediately. If you have a deep cut or wound, if a wound has had contact with floodwaters or if a wound develops redness, swelling or discharge, seek immediate medical attention.
  • Avoid being bitten by mosquitoes. Use an insect repellent on exposed skin areas and reapply every couple of hours. Cover up as much as possible with loose-fitting and light-coloured clothing. Should you or any of your family have severe diarrhoea or vomiting, please seek immediate medical assistance. If you have these symptoms, you’ll need extra fluids to replace what you lose. The best fluids to take are those that contain a mixture of special salts (electrolytes) and sugars, (e.g. Gastrolyte) which can be purchased from local pharmacies.

For more public health advice and information during and after storms or floods, please refer to the below resources: 

NSW Health - call 1800 health direct or 1800 022 222

Red Cross also provide information for public health -

Public Health Advice Fact Sheets

Other support

Facilities open to you

Showering facilities are available Monday to Friday at:

  • Peninsula Leisure Centre – Available from 9am-8pm
  • Lake Haven Recreation Centre – Available from 9am-8pm
  • Niagara Park Stadium – Available from 4–8pm
  • Gosford Olympic Pool – Available from 9am – 8pm
  • Wyong Pool – Available from 9am – 6pm
  • Toukley Aquatic Centre – Available from 9am – 6pm

Disaster relief for individuals

Grants are available from the NSW Government for eligible individuals and families whose homes and essential household contents have been damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster. To be eligible for this grant you must:

  • be a low-income earner and meet an income assets test
  • demonstrate that the affected home is your principal place of residence
  • not be covered by insurance
  • demonstrate that the damage was caused by the disaster
  • lodge the application within four months of the disaster occurring

Contact the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line on 1800 018 444.

Replacing personal documents

Service NSW can help replace many of your personal documents free of charge if they were damaged or destroyed. This includes birth certificates, marriage certificates, licences and number plates. Visit your nearest Service NSW centre or call 13 77 88.

Legal assistance

Legal Aid NSW can provide free legal advice and minor assistance to people affected by disasters on a range of issues, including insurance, tenancy, credit and debt problems. Call 1800 801 529 or visit

Water and Sewer Services

Due to the current significant rainfall being experienced across the Central Coast, a number of properties have had water and sewer services impacted. Council is managing the network and all jobs are logged with crews working through repairs as quickly as possible in the current difficult conditions, however we are experiencing a longer than normal delay in response time. Crews are prioritising repairing faults as power is restored and flood waters recede across impacted suburbs.

We encourage Central Coast residents to continue letting us know immediately if you are experiencing any water or sewer concerns - any time day or night. Log your concern online by clicking the 'Report an Issue' icon at For emergencies please call 1300 463 954.

Our crews are currently completing daily checks of flood affected areas to determine safe access for crews to commence restoration of sewerage services.

Sewerage Service Restoration

Davistown – Crews have restored system back to operations.  Intermittent issues may continue to be experienced by residents for the next few weeks. Port-a-loos will still be available at Memorial Park, Pyang Avenue and Kincumber Crescent.

South Tacoma – Major mechanical repairs are currently underway, flooding has caused extensive damage to the system.  Vacuum trucks will be operating throughout the day to tanker away sewer in the pots to avoid discharge to the environment. Port-a-loos will remain on South Tacoma Road. We are unable to provide a restoration time for this system at this stage.

If you are experiencing service issues, contact us on 1300 463 954 any time - day or night - to investigate. For other water and sewage outages visit

You can assist by minimising the backwash of any swimming pools whilst the flood waters subside. Also, continue to keep your property prepared by clearing out gutters and checking the flow of water in street gutters. We ask for your assistance in minimising the use of toilets, washing machines and dishwashers and to continue to conserve water during this weather event to minimise the impact on the sewer system.

Council Facilities

Camp grounds and holiday parks

  • Budgewoi Holiday Park is closed due to flooding.
  • Patonga camping ground has no EFTPOS available.


Ronkana Cemetery remains closed longer than expected due to severe weather postponing nearby rail works.

Council Beaches

Currently all Council patrolled beaches and the Grant McBride Baths at The Entrance are open. The car park at Karagi Point is also closed until further notice.

During severe weather conditions and with significant rainfall being experienced across the Central Coast, it is advised to avoid swimming and any other recreational contact with our waterways. Extended heavy rainfall increases the risk of our waterways being impacted by pollution due to stormwater run-off.

We work in partnership with Department of Planning, Industry and Environment in the Beachwatch Program to monitor and report on water quality across our region. We are continuing to monitor and test our water quality regularly through this period and will keep you updated.


The Seniors Festival Grandma Moses 2019 Selected Artist Exhibition at The Entrance has been cancelled.

If any major events are impacted by severe weather conditions, notifications will be made on Council’s Facebook page.  Updates are also provided for relevant events on The Entrance Town Centre Facebook page.


Road closures

Flooded roads are being monitored continuously and updates on our Road Closures page are for main roads and those with significant thoroughfare. Side roads will not be listed on our website but signage will be maintained as water levels recede.

Stay up to date with traffic information and road closures at for state roads.

In severe weather conditions a number of roads may be closed, or open only for local residents. Due to changes in weather activity roads may close with little notice. Please take care on our roads and avoid affected areas.

Road conditions

Our priority is to open roads that may be blocked due to fallen trees and other debris. Our street sweepers are also working across the Coast to then remove the debris our crews collect from the side of the road.

Potholes are also being repaired with a focus on main roads and high traffic roads. If you see a pothole, please report it by clicking the 'Report an Issue' icon at For water and sewer emergencies please call 1300 463 954.

Flood waters

Keep clear of creeks and storm drains, never walk, ride your bike, drive through or swim in flood waters. Stay indoors away from windows and keep children and pets indoors as well. Please follow all road closure signage, driving through flood waters risks being stranded and causing further damage to flooded homes.

Avoid swimming and any other recreational contact with our waterways during the current significant rainfall conditions being experienced across the Central Coast. Extended heavy rainfall increases the risk of our waterways being impacted by pollution due to stormwater run-off and contact should be avoided for at least 24 hours after heavy rainfall or when lagoons are open or for as long as stormwater is present. The most obvious signs of stormwater pollution are water discolouration as well as debris in the water and on the tide line.

We work in partnership with Department of Planning, Industry and Environment in the Beachwatch Program to monitor and report on water quality across our region. We are continuing to monitor and test our water quality regularly through this period.

If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and if you need rescue call 000.

Pets, livestock, animals and native animals

  • It is safest to keep your pet indoors during an emergency. Please include pets in your emergency survival plan and if you need to evacuate take all necessary bedding, food, cages etc... with you for your pet.

  • For information regarding support for livestock during fire conditions please visit the Department of Primary Industries website or call the Agricultural Services Hotline 1800 814 647

  • Animals – Please include pets in your emergency survival plan 

  • Native Animals – Should you come in contact with a native animal that is impacted or injured you can take them to your nearest Vet or contact Wires

Water restrictions during severe weather

Level 1 water restrictions apply to all outdoor water use from Monday 10 February. Following the weekend’s very substantial rain, Council staff are currently reviewing the quantity and quality of our water storage and supply. More information will be provided once this review is completed. 

Council reminds the community that in the event of, or where there is a risk of, an accident, fire, hazard to health or the environment, restrictions do not apply. This includes the hosing of driveways to clear debris deposited there by the weekend’s storm event. 

All other water use must request an exemption from Level 1 water restrictions

Things to remember in severe weather

  • Stay informed, alert and vigilant. Have a plan for what you will do in an emergency event and activate if required. If not prepared, leaving early is your safest option.
  • Please take time to check in on your neighbours, particularly elderly residents, to ensure that they are safe.
  • If you need to drive, please drive to the conditions and carefully follow traffic control directions to ensure your safety and the safety of others.
  • For an emergency that is life-threatening call 000 immediately.
  • For Disaster Recovery please contact 1800 018 444
  • For emergency help regarding direct flooding or trees down on private property call the NSW SES on 132 500 or visit their website for information on how to plan and prepare for storm or flooding emergencies.
  • For fallen powerlines or trees on powerlines please call AUSGRID on 13 13 88. Please DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR FALLEN TREES, they are often tangled with powerlines and can be extremely dangerous.
  • For the latest weather warnings refer to the BUREAU OF METEOROLOGY at
  • Report an issue to us any time day or night. Log your concern online by clicking the 'Report an Issue' icon at For water and sewer emergencies please call 1300 463 954.
  • Only accept financial assistance from registered charities, volunteers and government organisations.
Average: 3.8 (5 votes)


Add new comment

Last updated : Sat 22 Feb 2020